1 Piece at A Time

My American Dream. (Some assembly required.)

Monday, March 27, 2006

Mountain Girl's Barbecued Beef Sandwiches

Living in the Midwest for almost ten years taught me a thing or two about good barbecue. Here is one of my favorites:

  • 2- to 3-pound beef brisket (or any big, cheap cut of beef)
  • 1 10-oz. can of Rotelle or store brand canned, diced tomatoes with green chilies
  • 8-oz. applesauce (I'm still using the applesauce I made and froze last October)
  • 6-oz. tomato paste
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • hamburger buns
Stick meat in crockpot. Combine the rest of the ingredients and pour over meat. Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours. When done, shred meat and put in bowl. Pour half of the juice from the crockpot over shredded meat. Put the rest of the juice into a small saucepan and simmer until reduced to a thick barbecue sauce that you can spoon over the sandwiches.

Roughly, this recipe costs about $6.45. (I make my own applesauce and always buy the meat on sale). Since it's just my husband and me, we can get two dinners and two lunches out of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home