1 Piece at A Time

My American Dream. (Some assembly required.)

Monday, April 24, 2006

My Summer Vacation by Alex P. Keeton

Bankrate.com featured an article today about folks sending their kids to money camp:

More than 600 kids ages 10 to 18 will attend The Money Camp this summer in its original location in Santa Barbara, Calif., as well as at locations in Calgary, Alberta; Edmonton, Alberta; Mexico City and North Carolina.

Kids need this kind of camp more than they need traditional camps, Donati says. "They already know how to swim, but they don't know anything about passive income, leverage, the real estate business or the stock market."

I'm all for educating kids about money. When I graduated from high school, I didn't know how to balance a checkbook. My sister worked for Girls' Inc. for a number of years and created a class called She's On The Money that taught girls the basics about savings, checking, and budgeting. Sadly though, the director cut my sister's sewing and cooking classes because she didn't feel that they were empowering to girls. I about blew my stack when my sister told me about it. Empowerment is being able to create your own meals and not have to rely on fast food and convenience foods. Empowerment is being able to mend your clothing rather than run out and buy new. I learned many skills from Girls' Inc. (or Girls' Club back in the day) that I use today and am saddened by the prospect of a generation of young women (and men) who will have to pay someone to do the things they never learned to do for themselves. I guess my point is that we should teach kids about finance but can't overlook the value of home economic skills.

1 Comments:

At Tuesday, 25 April, 2006, Blogger Chitown said...

As a young woman, I did not learn how to cook and now I regret it. Part of it was out of defiance because I did not want to fall into a traditional role. I think it is a valuable skill to learn regardless of gender but some women have a hard time finding a balance between feminism and self-sufficiency.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home