1 Piece at A Time

My American Dream. (Some assembly required.)

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Savings Strategy Update: The Emergency Fund Goal

I read an article in a free issue of O (the Oprah magazine) in which Suze Orman strongly suggests that your emergency fund should equal eight months of income. It sounds difficult to do, but it would be worth it to have that kind of peace of mind, so I did the calculations. The first step for me is to get the emergency fund started with one paycheck for each of us. Step two, as suggested by Mapgirl, is to allocate 10% of our monthly net income to that savings account. I calculated that it will take 6 ΒΌ years to fund our emergency account, which isn't too bad when you consider that the average car loan is 5 years.

2 Comments:

At Tuesday, 11 July, 2006, Blogger Quo said...

I like Dave Ramsey's idea. If your pay is less than $20000 per year then save $500.00 for your initial emergency fund, pay off your bills, and then begin saving the 3 to 6 months of income needed for your "real" emergency fund. He says that if you make over $20000 per year then make that initial emergency fund $1000.00 and begin to pay off your bills. I like his suggestions. He recommends that you keep these funds liquid, but not too available, (those e-savings accounts are great for this idea).

Quo

 
At Tuesday, 11 July, 2006, Blogger mapgirl said...

I funded about $4K in my emergency fund, which for me is about 2-3 months. I think I could fund another $4K and let it grow on its own in interest.

Thanks for linking me. I had no idea I was having an influence! :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home