1 Piece at A Time

My American Dream. (Some assembly required.)

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Yum :: Vegetable Barley Soup

Homemade soup should be inexpensive, and I've found a recipe that I'm always able to make with what I have in the fridge. It is the thickest, richest, tastiest vegetable barley soup I've ever slurped. (Note: When I don't have homemade chicken stock on hand, I use Better Than Bouillon rather than canned chicken broth. I prefer the taste, it's less expensive, and there's less packaging.)

Vegetable Barley Soup

1 TBSP Butter
2 TBSP Olive Oil
1/2 Cup Barley
1 Yellow Onion, Chopped
2 Carrots, Diced
2 Celery Ribs, Diced
4 Cups Chicken Broth/Stock
Salt & Pepper, To Taste

1. In a 3-quart saucepan, melt butter in olive oil over medium heat. Add barley, onion, carrots and celery and cook, stirring often, until the onion is tender, 7 to 10 minutes.

2. Stir in stock and bring to simmer. Cover and cook for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until barley is tender. Add salt and pepper to taste.

This recipe is from The Wooden Spoon Book of Home-Style Soups, Stews, Chowders, Chilis & Gumbos by Marilyn M. Moore. This woman knows how to cook. I keep renewing the book from the library and have asked for it for Christmas. Every recipe I've tried is fantastic.

1 Comments:

At Thursday, 19 October, 2006, Blogger Flip said...

Thanks, now I know what's for dinner tonight!
-Flip

 

Post a Comment

<< Home