1 Piece at A Time

My American Dream. (Some assembly required.)

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Long Distance Service: The Biggest Scam In The Universe

For the last twelve years I have lived far enough from my family that when I phone, it is a long distance call. In Wichita, I played the switch-to-our-company-and-we'll-give-you-a-$100- check game frequently enough that, for almost a year, long distance was free. But the offers dried up and I chose MCI's Family Plan and for a flat rate I could talk as much as I wanted.

When we moved to town, Pancake & I started using a pre-paid phone card because I hadn't chosen a long distance carrier. And now I never will. The phone card is much cheaper because you're not paying line fees and delivery fees and lattes for the telemarketers fees, not to mention all those stupid FCC taxes. My folks bought us a $20/570 minutes card the last week of July and we just last week ran out of minutes! Three months for $20 vs. $78 a month, which is what we used to pay. Boy, do I feel like a dope!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home