1 Piece at A Time

My American Dream. (Some assembly required.)

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Money Changes Everything

I've been feeling strange lately, and not just because I've had a wicked cold, which explains the lack of posts to this site. For the last ten months my life has been in a holding pattern, and it's all directly related to money and our lack thereof. I am a writer—a fiction writer. I have an MFA in creative writing from a decent university and a handful of publishing credits. I wrote a novel a few years back (still unpublished) and completed a short story collection (also unpublished), and last year, before we moved, I started work on a second novel. Other than this blog, and an article I wrote for a local magazine, I have not been able to write in almost a year. I have always been extremely disciplined, writing everyday, twice a day (one session in the morning and another in the afternoon), all while managing an art gallery and keeping the books for our three companies. I know that a large part of the problem is not having my own space; we've been living at my in-laws' camp and everything I own is in the garage out back. My former discipline relied on routine, and I just can't seem to get my act together.

What I can do is obsess about money, and this scares me a bit. I've always been interested in personal finance and frugality, but I also had a healthy perspective and didn't let it rule my life. Now, it's all I think about. I know that my obsession is filling the space that used to be devoted to writing, and I also know that once I start writing again, it will resume its proper place in my life. I hope. Not all of it is my own doing. There's a hierarchy of needs—we need our own house; I need my personal possessions; we need health insurance; I need to have my eyes examined and get new contact lenses; we need to register our car—and writing is not at the top of the list. Our needs consume me. And I'm tired.

Please excuse the excessive introspection, but I don't recognize my own life. The way I am living right now is not who I am. And I hate the fact that I've wasted an entire year. I just feel so lost.

3 Comments:

At Tuesday, 16 May, 2006, Blogger Chitown said...

I know exactly how you feel when you say thoughts of money consume you. Take comfort in knowing that you are making steps in the right direction. If you feel like writing is what you need to be doing, then you have to just figure out a way to do it. Head to the library and get some space so you can concentrate. I know for me, once I make up my mind about something, I just have to figure out a way to do it. Best wishes!

 
At Tuesday, 16 May, 2006, Blogger NewsGirly said...

I've felt the same way - exactly. Sometimes I find that spending quality time setting myself up for writing - cleaning out a space, organizing my books, etc. - and rearranging a few other things - making lunches the night before, etc. - frees up some time and motivates me to get cracking.
But I've also been a one-noter with my fiance on money, debt and savings as well. I have to make an effort not to let it dominate our conversations. I bet you haven't wasted a year. I'll bet there is a reason things have been the way they are and eventually it will have been for the best. It took me five years to figure that out, but things did make sense to me eventually and life is better. All the best to you.

 
At Wednesday, 17 May, 2006, Blogger Mountain Girl said...

Thanks to both of you. Sometimes just writing about what is troubling me makes me feel better. I appreciate the support.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home